Sunday, October 11, 2015

Madrasah Al Mashoor

Syed Sheikh al-Hadi came to Penang in 1893. He then went for further studies at the University of al-Azhar, Egypt in 1897, and returned to Penang in 1899.

In 1919, Syed Sheikh al-Hadi shifted to Penang and established Madrasah Al-Mashoor. He became the first principle of the madrasah.

During his tenure, he played a crucial role in the consolidation of the school in the sense that he transferred it premises from Acheen to Tek Soon Street, where the school got a bigger compound and catered for a large number of students.

In its new premises, the school offered Islamic courses and a set of secular disciplines that were taught in English.

The Madrasah Al-Mashoor was also well known during the British colonial era as a place of radical movement. The madrasah was one of the first Malay-Muslim institutions to ‘pioneer of the modern printing press, publishing not only religious texts, but also journals and magazines that helped to create the fledging imagined community of a literate public in the Malay Peninsula.

The all-boys madrasah began in Masjid Melayu Acheh, near the old warehouses and pilgrimage jetty.
Madrasah Al Mashoor

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular articles

Feed from History of United States